Alldredge Index Page


Verl Pedigree Chart

Ada Pedigree Chart

(Tony Alldredge/M.Gene Aldridge Research Site)

  Isaac Alldredge II History on my AOL site


Journal History of Isaac Alldredge, Jr.

A short sketch of the birth, life and travels of Isaac Alldredge the second, who was the son of Isaac and Mary Brown Alldredge, who was the son of Ezekiel and Rachel Huff Alldredge, who was the son of Ezekiel Alldredge of Scotch descent, as recorded in his journal.

I was born July 25, 1843 in Jackson Co. Illinois, U.S.A. When I was about two years old, my father died and left my mother with four small children; my brothers, William and Parsons and my sister Martha. My father had been married before and had two children, Ezekiel and Elizabeth. My mother had three children by a former husband, by the name of Wilks. Their names were, Samuel Sneed Wilks, Miner James Wilks, and John Brown Wilks. Samuel went to California during the gold excitement of 1849, and has never been heard of since (this being 1913). John was shot and killed in the war with Mexico in 1846. Miner was a singing master, class leader and preacher in the missionary Baptist Church. All the rest of my relatives so far as I know were farmers.

Soon after the death of my father, my mother with her four small children moved north about 35 miles into Perry Co. and located near Pinckneyville, County seat of Perry County. My mother died when I was in my fifth year. My brother William went to Missouri. My sister Martha went back to Jackson Co., and my brother Parsons and I lived with a. Mr. Richard Wilks (son of my mother's first husband) for about one year; when Parsons followed William to Missouri and I went to live with my Aunt Cassandra Crain. Her husband's name is Benjamin Crain and one of God's noblemen.

In the fall of 1852, my Uncle John Brown, Mother's youngest brother, came to Illinois from the great Salt Lake Valley, west of the Rocky Mountains, now the State of Utah. He had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and was one of the first company of pioneers to Salt Lake City in 1847. Early in the spring of 1852 I left Illinois with Uncle John and went west. The first 60 miles I rode a mule to St. Louis, Missouri, took a steam boat from St. Louis up the Mississippi River to Keokuk, Iowa, then by ox team through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming; and arrived in Salt Lake Valley in the fall (Sept. or Oct. 16). During the following winter I went to school in the 14th ward. Salt Lake City.

March 2, 1854 I was baptized by Jacob Piert and soon after confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and joined the 14th ward. During the next summer I herded cows in and around Salt Lake City. Sometime in the summer I saw two Indians hanged. I also worked some on the great wall that was being built around Salt Lake City. I attended school again the next winter.

During the next year, 1855, I moved with my uncle 30 miles south and located at Lehi, Utah. This year and the next grasshoppers were very numerous and destroyed most of our crops and we were forced to the extremity of digging segos and other wild roots to live on.

The summer of 1857 had left us and crops were very good. This year the United States Government started an army to Utah to subdue the Mormons, who had been reported to be in rebellion against the Government; which was false. President Brigham Young said they could not come into the valley unless they came peaceably; which they did the following spring. It was a very great blessing to the people, as we were very much in need of clothing and iron which the army brought in great abundance. It also made an excellent market for our produce.

I continued to live with my uncle and worked at farming, stock raising and bronco riding. I also took my part in standing guard against Indians. When we first moved to Lehi it was only a 4 square fort. I assisted in building a large wall around it. In 1863 I made a trip west into Nevada with 3 yoke of oxen and one wagon, with a load of oats for the overland mail.

In 1864 I made a trip east to assist the emigrants coming from Europe. After my return home, I began work in company of Steven Ross for Byrant Stringham on December 1. I drove team, hauling tithing into Salt Lake City from the nearby settlements. We made one trip as far south as Spring Town, Sanpete Co., about 100 miles.

In 1865 I had a very severe spell of sickness and was under the care of Drs. Anderson and Bernhisell of Salt Lake City. Most of the summer I was under their care. The following winter I attended school in Lehi.

April 6-8, 1866 I attended conference in Salt Lake City when I was called on a mission to Europe. I was ordained an Elder on April 20th and received my endowments. In the evening I was set apart for my mission in the historians office under the hands of Daniel H. Wells, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Franklin D. Richards and George Q. Cannon of the Apostles' Quorum.

April 27th I started for the East on my way to fill my mission, walking 30 miles to Salt Lake City.

April 30th - I traveled 25 miles to Parley's Park where I stayed with Ephraim Snyder until May 2nd when I made another start, this time with Captain Sam White's horse and mule train, going to the Missouri River after church immigrants.

May 5th - I arrived in Echo Canyon, where we camped until the 8th waiting for our Captain, who was detained in Salt Lake City. On his arrival we made preparation for traveling. Our company consisted of some 50 odd wagons, 125 men and 3 women. Of the men, 18 were missionaries.

May 9th - made another start. May 10th - Crossed Bear River. May 13th - Hams Fork and Green River. I came near of being drowned by swimming the river by horseback. May 14th - Traveled 28 miles and camped on Big Sandy. One of the passengers died very suddenly of heart spell. His name was Peter Horick of Salt Lake City. May 15th - The body was started back to Salt Lake City by U.S. mail coach. We camped for the night at Pacific Springs. May 16th - Camped on Sweet Water. May 19th - Passed Devil Gates and crossed Sweet Water and camped for the night. May 21st. - Passed upper Platt River Bridge, where was stationed a company of U.S. soldiers. May 22nd - Traveled north side of Platt and camped for the night opposite Deer Creek where was stationed another company of soldiers. May 26th - Camped 7 miles above Fort Laramie on our right. May 29th - Passed Chimney Rock. June 3rd - Passed the junction of the north and south Plattes. June 7th - Crossed Wood River. June 9th - We met the grading camps of the Union Pacific Railroad about noon. In the afternoon I saw the R.R. Train running for the first time. We camped for the night on the Loop Fork River.

Sunday June 10th - rained all day. We did not move. June llth - Crossed the river very early on a pontoon or floating bridge. I took the cars in the evening for Omaha, at a small town by the name of Columbus. June 12th - Arrived in Omaha about 6 A.M. At 10 A.M., I boarded the steam boat "Antelope" for St. Louis. I was accompanied by two young men who were on their way home to Illinois from Salt Lake City. June 15th - After a very pleasant trip down the Missouri we arrived in St. Louis late in the evening and put up at the Great Western Hotel. At the junction of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers our boat collided with a steamer (The Great Western) going up the Mississippi and disabled the "Antelope" so her machinery would not work and we had to float 20 miles down to the wharf. June 16th - Crossed the river in a steam ferry to the Illinois side and I started on foot for Pinckney Ville, 60 miles distance. In the evening a very heavy thunder shower came up and I called at a German farm house and got accommodations, slept between two feather beds without a pillow. June 17th - Passed through the towns of Bellville, Ubanner, Athens and Coalterville, arriving at Pinckney Ville after dark. I found my brother Parsons and sister Martha, whom I had not seen for 15 years, waiting for me. I remained there until July 3rd visiting relatives. July 3rd - I took a train at Dugurn for New York. July 5th - 11 P.M. - arrived in New York and took a bed at the European Hotel.

July 6th - I went to the office of Elders Thomas Taylor and John T. Cane (Church emigration agents). Sunday July 8th - By invitation of Elder Miles, President of the New York branch of the Church. I attended a meeting held in the Idelpha Hall in Williamsburg. I was the first speaker. July 9th - 'Elder" Joriatnan Steggle and I went over the river and spent the day in Brooklyn, returned late and spent the night in the streets of New York; visited a printing office during the night, under one of the streets. July llth - I went on board the Steamship "Tripoli", a Cunard liner, and sailed for Liverpool, England. Elders Jonathan Steggle of American Fork and Richard Benson of Parowan and a Sister Neaden of Salt Lake City were aboard, also. The elders were going on missions and Sister Neaden was visiting relatives and friends. During the voyage I suffered greatly of sea sickness. We had pleasant weather.

July 24th - 10:00 A.M. Arrived in Liverpool and went to Church headquarters at 42 Islington St. to report our arrival to Apostle Orson Pratt, acting President of the European Mission during the absence of Apostle Brigham Young Jr., who was in Paris, France. July 25th - Being my 23rd birthday, I spent in the company of Bishop Wm. B. Preston, in visiting Browns Museum and other places of interest. In the museum was a skeleton of a whale so large I could walk between its ribs and about 20 ft. on the inside without stooping. Its swallow was very small and I am quite satisfied it is not the fish the Lord prepared to swallow Jonah. I stayed all night with Elder R.N. Russell on Prince Edward Street. Elder Russell was President of the Liverpool conference.

July 27th - I received an appointment to labor as traveling elder in the Birmingham conference under the direction of Elders A. Hatch and F. Platt. I was appointed to labor in the towns of Walsall, Willenhall, Walverhampton, Brown Hill, Chase Town, Pelsel, Alldredge, Darleston, Bilstown, Tipton, Dudley and Westbromwitch. Aug. 14th - I baptized a young woman by the name of Mary Green, in the baths at Walsall. She was age 19 and met with the saints in night meetings in the Wisemore Street Chapel. Aug. 28th - I went to Walsall and baptized a young woman by the name of Ann Saxton, age 18. I met with the saints in the evening and confirmed Sister Saxton a member of the church. Sept. 1st - I left Walsall in the morning and rode by train to Birmingham where I met Elders Hatch and Platt. In the evening we went to the New Street Railway Station and met Apostles Brigham Young Jr. and Orson Pratt, and J.W. Young. Sept. 2nd - Met with the saints in conference held in Odd Fellows Hall Upper Temple Street. There were present from Utah, U.S.A: Orson Pratt, Brigham Young Jr., Abel Evans, James F. McGaw, A. Miner, C.S. Penrose, J.W. Young, H.H. Felt, E. Frost, G. Hunter, A. Hatch, F. Platt and Isaac Alldredge. Sept. 3rd - The Utah elders in a body visited the G.M. Gilets Pen factory. In the evening attended a concert given by the saints in the Odd Fellows Hall.

Sept. 25th - I baptized in the baths of Walsall a young man by the name of Abel Hammond; and a woman by the name of Sarah Wilson. They were confirmed the same night in the Wisemore Chapel. Sept. 26th - I paid a penny to see a 2,000 pound hog. I continued to labor among the several branches of the conference; sometimes in company of Elders Hatch and Platt but most of the time alone; until November 29th when I met Elder Elmer Taylor who had been transferred from Norwich conference on account of bad health and was to labor with me, but his health not improving, he stayed with me only one week.

Nov. 30th - Queen Victoria visited Wolverhampton to unveil a statue erected to the memory of her husband the late Prince Consort. Many of the elders, in company with President Young's wife, spent the day viewing the sights. Had a very good look at her gracious majesty, not being more than 15 feet from her. We did not uncover our heads but gave her the American salute by touching our hats. She noticed us and arose and bowed to us. We saluted three times and bowed as often. Two of her daughters and one son- in-law were with her. At night Elder Taylor and I went to the race course to see the fire works. It was estimated there were 100,000 people on the grounds and could all be seen from the grand stand were we had taken seats.

Sunday Dec. 23rd - I baptized in the public baths in Wolverhampton, John Jordan, Lydia Walking, Elizabeth Fereday, Margaret Sharp, Sarah A. Hill, Marian Heartshome, George Page, Sarah A. Devey, Henry Portridge, Ambrose Hill, after which I walked to Willenhall and met with the Saints. At 2:00 p.m. I confirmed Brother George Page and Sister Lydia Walkins. In the evening I met with the Walsall Saints. Dec. 31st - I spent the day in Birmingham with Brothers Hatch, Platt and Taylor and summed up my travels for the year. I had traveled about 11,000 miles; about 3,000 on foot.

1867 Sunday Jan. 20th - I met with the saints of the Wolverhampton Branch and ordained brother Joseph Devy to the office of Deacon. Sunday Feb. 10th - I met with the Walsall branch and ordained brother Robert Roden Jr. to the office of Deacon. Sunday Feb. 22nd - Attended conference held in the Odd Fellow's Hall, Birmingham. Mar. 4th - I visited the Litchfield Cathedral, built in 1200.

March 26th - I met Elder Platt in Walsall. He informed me of my release as traveling elder in the Birmingham Conference and my appointment to preside over the Staffordshire Conference. My labors in the Birmingham Conference had been visiting in their homes, holding meetings with them in their branch houses, private houses, visiting strangers, holding street meetings and conversing on the divine mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith with all I could get to listen to me. I enjoyed my labors and was kindly treated by the saints and strangers with whom I associated. I was loath to leave the friends I had made but duty called me to another field. I remained in the Birmingham Conference until April 9th when I said farewell to my many friends and started out among strangers to make others.

April 9th, 1867 - In the afternoon I took the train at Wolverhampton and rode .to Stafford, 30 miles. Elder Samuel Southwick met me at the station and took me to Brother Robert Flemank's residence where I was received and treated very kindly. Elder Southwick remained with me until May 2nd, visiting the saints in the different branches. The saints in this conference were very much scattered. We visited the towns of Stone, Hanley, Burslem, Longton, Tunstell, Bickford, Boonhill, Leek, and Macclesfield in Cheshire. Sunday April 21st - Attended conference. We visited the towns of Plumbly, Sanback and Market Drayton in Cheshire; Shrewsburg, Lintisburg, and Asterby in Shropshire and Poolquay in Montgomeryshire North Wales. We then retraced our course and returned to Stafford, having traveled 368 miles - 342 on foot.

May 2nd - Elder Southwick left me for the Norwick Conference to fill an appointment as President of same. I took up my labors without a companion and labored alone until July 23rd when Elder N.B. Baldwin of Fillmore, Utah arrived; having been appointed to labor with me. July 14th - Met with the Saints of the Asterley Branch, where I ordained Brother Edwin Davis to the office of Priest. July 24th - We visited Hanley and Longton. July 25th - Boonhill and Springwood - We then took the rounds of the conference visiting all the branches and scattered saints. August 25th - I attended conference in Birmingham. Feb. 11, 1868 - I baptized A.A. Stansfield, Walter Stansfield, John Birch Jr., Isaiah Fletcher, Owen Fletcher, Thomas Smith, George Grimshaw Senior, Mary Grimshaw and John Grimshaw, all of Macclesfield, Cheshire. April 23rd - I again visited Birmingham. I continued in the Staffordhire Conference until December 31st., when I took the train for Liverpool. Elder Baldwin succeeded me as president of the conference.

January 2, 1869 - Took passage on the steamship, "Kangaroo" and sailed for New York. January 4th - Stopped 12 hours in Queens Town or Cork Harbor, Ireland. January 18th - Stopped in Halifax Harbor, Novascotia 16 hours. January 23rd - Landed in New York; where I stopped 18 hours and attended an Irish Wake or funeral. Arrived in St. Louis the 28th.

January 30th - Rode to Dugurn, Perry Co., Illinois by rail. I labored in Perry Co. among my relatives and friends until August 4th. During my labors here I baptized Joseph C. Young, Elizabeth Young and Rachel Ann Young. August 24th - I started by team for Liberty landing on the Mississippi River, where I arrived next day and took passage on the Steamboat "Adam Jacobs" for St. Louis. Arrived in St. Louis the 27th. August 28th - Took passage on the steamboat "Glasgow" up the Missouri River for Omaha. My sister Martha and 3 children were with me. Landed in Omaha, Nebraska September 3rd. September 13th - Left Omaha on the Union Pacific Railroad, for Ogden, Utah. September 17th - Arrived in Ogden and was met by my Uncle John Brown at the depot and rode with him by team to Pleasant Grove, Utah were we arrived on the 21st. I met my brothers, William and Parsons. I had not seen William for 17 years.

Dec. 10th - I began teaching school in Pleasant Grove. Dec. 26th - I left Lehi with Miss Susannah Evans, daughter of Bishop David and Barbara Ann Evans, for Salt Lake City. We were married next day by .Daniel H. Wells in the old endowment house. My old friend Samuel Southwick and Miss Sarah Ann Smith went with us and were married the same day.

March 10th, 1870 - I settled in Lehi and farmed on shares for the summer. Oct. 13th - Our first child was born. We named him Isaac Jr. In the spring of 1871 I worked awhile on a smelter in Tintic and on July 5th I moved with my family to the church pasture near Salt Lake City. I filed a preemption claim on 160 acres of the pasture and meadow of church land. After perfecting title I moved back to Lehi in January 1872. March 2nd 1872 - Our second child was born. Another fine son. We named him John. The following summer I teamed between Tintic mines and Terminus of the Utah Southern Railroad. The following winter to Pioche, Nevada. October 17, 1874 - Our first daughter was born. We gave her the name of Susie. In July of this year I began building me a house. I had been renting up to this time and teaming between the railroad and the mines. I built my house one mile out of town on a small farm, I had bought. The following winter I taught school. During the summer of 1875, I farmed and peddled to the mines of Bingham Canyon. I continued at this work until the fall of 1876 when I began teaming into eastern Nevada. August 31, 1876 - Our second daughter was born. Oct. 8th - My new daughter was blessed and named Emma, by James T. Powell.

August 29, 1877 - President Brigham Young died in Salt Lake City. I attended his funeral a few days later. April 22, 1878 - My brother William and nephew S.I. Alldredge and I made a trip to the Sevier River in Millard Co., near the sinks. I made another trip to the Sevier in September in the company of J.C. Young and Neils Peterson. October 6th - I attended conference in Salt Lake City. October 27 - I baptized my son Isaac and confirmed him. I also baptized 5 others.

February 5, 1879 - We had another fine baby girl added to our family. Sunday March 16th, I blessed and named our baby girl, Mary. I continued teaming into Nevada until the spring of 1881. Then worked a-while rail-roading in Rush Valley.

May 19, 1881 - We had another increase in our family, a girl. About this time I sold out in Lehi and bought a farm in Deseret, Millard Co., Utah. In Sept. I moved to our new home and Sunday Sept. 25 I joined the Deseret Ward by recommend from Bishop Thomas R. Cutler of Lehi. Dec. 25th - I attended meeting and was called to speak. I blessed my baby girl and named her Deseret. Was assisted by Elders M.M. Bishop and Hyrum Dewsnup.

1882 - The ice in the Sevier River broke up this spring and lodged against our dam, taking it downstream which was a damage to the settlement of about $7,000. I farmed and worked on the dam during the summer. In September I was appointed road supervisor for the Deseret Precinct and went to work at once constructing a bridge across the river and laying some new county roads. November 7th - I baptized my daughter Susie and confirmed her Nov. 12th. Sunday Dec. 3rd - I was set apart to act as a ward teacher and sustained by the saints of Deseret Ward. Also, I was appointed one of the executive committee of the U.M.I. Association and one of a building committee to build a new meeting house. Dec. 4th - I met with the county court in Fillmore and attended to some business pertaining to the roads in the western part of the county.

May 26, 1883 - I attended quarterly conference in Deseret and was again sustained a home missionary with L.R. Cropper as my partner.

June 23, 1883 - My wife's father, David Evans, died in Lehi.

November 27th - I was ordained a seventy by Bishop J.S. Black, assisted by Abram H. Cannon, W.V. Black and S.W. Western. I became a member of the 21st quorum. Dec. 3rd - I met with the county court at Fillmore and was reappointed road supervisor; also constable of Deseret Precinct.

Feb. 11, 1884 - My daughter, Mary, died and was buried in Deseret Cemetery. Sunday 17th - I took the train for Provo where I served a term of grand jury.

During May and June, the water rose so high in the river it overflowed its banks and cut a channel around our dam and left the settlement without water. I saved the bridge by guying it with cable ropes from center to either bank.

July 21st - My wife gave birth to another baby girl. I blessed and named her Nettie. Sept. 4th - My daughter Emma was baptized by W.V. Black and confirmed by S.W. Western.

Sept. 4, 1886 - Our sixth daughter was born. Dec. 2-1 blessed and named her Virginia.

In the spring of 1887 Win. V. Black, L.R. Cropper, Wm Alldredge, J.W. Dameron, A.F. Warnick and I filed articles of incorporation to build a canal to bring water out of the Sevier River without a dam. The canal was to be known as the Gunnison Bend Canal. During this season the high waters broke our dam and stockholders took over our incorporation and went to work with a will to complete the canal for use for the next season; which we succeeded in so near doing that we could use it. The old board of directors of the D.G. Co. resigned and Bennett, Sec. and Treas.; W.H. Pratt, A.F. Warnick, J.B. Hawley, Directors. I. Alldredge as General Watermaster and supt. of construction and repair work. I engaged in a sheep speculation which proved a financial failure.

During the past four years persecution of our brethren for plural marriage was very severe. Many were sent to jail and others had to hunt new homes in Arizona and Mexico, or go into exile. During the year 1886 I moved onto a homestead I had taken up under our new canal. I was released as home missionary but continued as board supervisor until the fall of 1887 and vice president, head watermaster and general manager of the D.I. company until the fall of 1894. I filled several appointments as delegate to conventions and served two terms on the grand jury in first judicial district court in Provo, Utah Co.

Jan. 22, 1889 - We were blessed with the birth of another son.

Sunday March 7th, 1889 - I attended fast meeting and blessed my new son and gave him the name of Leo. Was assisted by W.V. Black and S.W. Western.

June 2nd - My son Isaac was ordained to the office of teacher.

June 6th - I baptized my daughter Deseret. She was confirmed the same day by Bishop J.S. Black. About this time I had some trouble with Bishop Black over a mortgage on our meeting house, which resulted in the division of the Deseret Ward into three wards, named Oasis, Deseret and Hinckley. I was located in the Hinckley Ward.

Aug. 16th, 1893 - Our baby girl was born in Hinckley Ward. I blessed her and gave her the name of Jocosa.

Sept. 15th, 1894 - Our daughter Virginia died of Diphtheria and was buried by the side of her sister, Mary.

1895 - In the fall I sold my farm in Hinckley and moved to Ferron, Emery Co. in Eastern Utah. My son Isaac and family moved with me.

1896 - In the spring I took charge of building of another canal north of Ferron.

1897 July 4th - My son Leo was baptized by Christian Peterson. July 5th - I confirmed him a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

1898 Feb. 2nd - Leo was ordained to the office of a Deacon by Bishop H.A. Nelson.

1901 Sept. 8th - My daughter, Jocosa, was baptized by Andrew Rasmusson and I confirmed her a member of the church. During the spring of this year my son, Isaac, and I took a trip by team into Idaho, visited the Snake river and Teton Valleys. Returned home in July.

In the Fall Isaac and family, with Alex Jameson, moved to old Mexico and located in Colonia Morelos, State of Sonora.

During my residence in Ferron, I engaged principally in peddling produce to the Castle Gate coal mines in Carbon Co., Utah. In the fall of 1902 I sold out in Ferron and shipped by rail to Old Mexico, by way of El Paso, Texas and went through Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua. Arrived in Colonia Dublan in Nov. 1902 - De-trained and drove by team to Morelos, State of Sonora. Arrived Nov. 19th. William Wanlass and David Winn and families went with me. We killed a deer on the trip and David Winn killed an antelope.

I bought some land and put in a crop in the Morelos fields. I also bought a lot in town and pitched my tent there. The next summer 1903 the high waters in the Bavispa River destroyed my crop and washed my land away. In the fall I went to freighting to the Naccojaris mines and continued until winter of 1905 then returned to Colonia Morelos and bought me another farm and built a nice brick home, raised a crop and bought a cane mill. While making my cane crop into sorghum, another disastrous flood came down the Bavispa and Batapeta Rivers and stole my mill and ruined my farm. I then went into debt about $4,000 for teams and wagons and engaged in freighting from Naccojaris to the mines south. I continued until the summer of 1907 when I sold my teams and wagons and bought a home in Douglas, Arizona, U.S.A.

In the early winter of 1909 I bought another farm in Sonora, Mexico on the Batapeta, 10 miles north of Morelos. I had previously sold my home in Morelos. Early in the spring of 1910 I sold my home in Douglas and moved my family into Mexico again and located on my farm. During the winter of 1910 and 1911 a Revolution broke out by the Diez Government. It was started by Francisco Madero which resulted in the overthrow of Diez. Madero became President. Soon after, a rebellion was started against Madero by Orosco Salazar and others - resulting in the assassination of Madero. General Huerta was declared President and soon became a dictator. The followers of Madero then took arms against the Huerta faction.

April 17, 1911 - My son-in-law, J.W. Keat and I were in Douglas, Arizona and spent the day watching the battle fought in Agua Prietta just across the international line south of Douglas - between the followers of Madero and Federals. The fight lasted from 6 A.M. until the next day. The Federals were the victors. During the day, many were wounded by stray bullets in Douglas. My son-in-law was shot in the heel. The Huertas were called Federals and other factions called Rebels. But there was a very little difference, both parties had no respect for gringos (foreigners) and pillaged wherever they went.

In August 1912 conditions had become so bad it was considered unsafe to remain longer in Mexico so we left and went to the U.S. in a body, leaving everything behind except our teams and wagons to haul us out with our bedding and a few provisions. The three colonies; Oxacaxo, Morelos, and San Jose, made quite a show. The U.S.A. furnished pup tents for those who couldn't get a house and that made quite a city. It took nearly a week to get to Douglas, Arizona. In the camps at night all seemed quite cheerful although they had left everything behind. Soon after we left the Rebel army under the leadership of Salazar and Rohas came in and took possession of our homes. The Rebels rested in the colonies about six weeks and then moved on. After they left I made several trips and hauled out some of my wheat, one load of turkeys and some of my furniture. My son Isaac had gone to Tucson, Arizona and had gotten work. My son Leo had work with the Palace Meat Market in Douglas. In Feb. 1913 I visited Salt Lake City, and attended conference; also did some work for the dead in the temple. On my return I visited my daughter Deseret in Provo and my daughter Susie in Hinckley, Utah and son Isaac in Kaolin, Nevada. Also, I visited Los Angeles and Long Beach, California where my daughter Nettie lived. I returned to Hurley, New Mexico on the 27th of April. May 1st - began work again for the Chino Copper running a pump.

June 1914 - I left Hurley and moved to Salt Lake City, and worked in the temple for some time. Then I bought a corn popper and located in Price, Carbon County, Utah. I sold my corn popper in May 1918 and moved back to Salt Lake City and went to work on the streets and in the temple - three days on the streets and three days in the temple. I continued at this work until August 1920 then moved to Mesa, Arizona. I built a small frame house on my son Leo's lot. I bought another corn popper and went again into the corn popping business.

I made good money until the present depression. My wife died about midnight on July 23 or 24, 1932. She was buried July 26, 1932 in Mesa, Arizona Cemetery. Soon after my wife's death I took a trip to California and visited my daughters, Susie and Nettie; then went north as far as Logan, visited my son Isaac in St. George and a daughter, Deseret, in Logan. I returned to Mesa in September.

June 1933 - I started another trip visiting my children, some I missed before. I spent my 90th birthday with two of my granddaughters, Ruth and Dixie Johnson in Logan, Utah. I returned to Mesa in September.

I got me some old Ford car wheels and have me a very nice bachelors booth I made and I am batching. I have it located on my daughter, Jocosa's lot. It can be trailed behind a car. How long I may need it I cannot tell. My health is fairly good yet, but I am not as active as I used to be. I cannot see to get around in the dark and hardly can see to read.


Isaac Alldredge Jr.  passed away on 24 September 1936.

Copyright 2004 by Cynthia B. Alldredge (Page design and coding)